Friday, February 7, 2014

The anti-diet: Day 1

I've decided to go against every shred of nutrition advice I have received in the past 18 years of having diabetes. This advice has resulted in less-than-desirable control (HbA1c never lower than 7.4), and a life of frustration and constant struggle to keep my blood sugars in line.

In October 2012, I had the good fortune to meet a health coach with Herbalife. She helped me come up with a nutrition plan that focused on foods that have minimal impact on my blood sugars. Indeed, I brought my HbA1c down to 6.4 for the first time in two decades of having this condition. My focus was starting my day off with a protein food that contains some complex carbohydrates (read: fiber).

This protein/fiber focus is what really got me on track, and I also went from 151 lbs to a slender 132 lbs just in time for my wedding!

I don't know what started me on this latest kick--I can't remember what light went off in my head that there could be an even better way. But here I am, OBSESSED, and starting on my first day of giving the big middle finger to the diabetes medical community.

I'm not telling my doctor. I know what they will say. They've been saying it for years. But I've done a considerable amount of research and have come to pick apart the science, and all reliable, logical conclusions lead to this:

Switching your body to rely on fat for most of its energy needs will be a sustainable, effective solution for smoothing out blood sugar levels.

Here are some resources:
Understanding the history and politics of the low-fat recommendation: http://www.diabetes-book.com/articles/ssdf.shtml


This is an amazing overview of metabolism.

DAY ONE:

Breakfast: 8am
3 whole eggs with 50g of regular, high-fat cheese and one green onion. Cooked in 1 tbsp coconut oil.
Latte made with soy milk creamer.
So freakin delicious after spending the last 18 months adhering to a balanced, lowish carbs, high protein foods (read: protein shakes). 

Supplements included: fish oil, multi-V, fiber

Snack: 11:15am (I was not even hungry!!! Breakfast kept me super full)
350 calories of macadamia nuts. Mind you, I haven't eaten nuts in FOREVER! There was previously a nut ban in my home because of their densely caloric nature.

Lunch: 12:30pm. Feeling really good.
2 cups of broccoli. Eaten with 1 avocado mushed and mixed with 2 tbsp salsa.
I know this doesn't sound like a lot, but I already wasn't that hungry, and this kept me feeling very satisfied (fat will do that).

Snack: 3:15pm. Still feeling really, really good.
Cucumber with bacon cheddar dip. Holy crap, I am literally spooning bacon cheddar dip into my mouth. Mind you, I am restricting my calories to 1640/day, so I'm not going too crazy. 5 calories worth of cukes dipped into 300 calories worth of bacon cheddar gold.

Blood sugars are OK. I reduced my basal to about 50% but have had to take a few small boluses. It got as high as 214, but I really want to keep it up around 160 so I don't have to RUIN everything by having to treat a low, which I had to do early this morning.

So far, I am at 27g of net carbs. I feel really good. I plan on working out later with no insulin on board in order to get my liver to dump some more stored glucose.

So far, so good!


No comments:

Post a Comment