Friday, February 7, 2014

Everything they tell you about nutritional guidelines is wrong.

I don't know why this rubbed me the wrong way so much:

I went to see a dietitian in the Metabolism, Endocrinology, & Diabetes clinic. I went in with a chip on my should already, because what could SHE possibly have to tell ME that I didn't already know after 18 years of living with type 1 diabetes for 18 years?

We started by going through my typical day of eating and looking at my blood sugars (rocking out at HbA1c = 6.4), and all she had to contribute was "good job."

She told me that "you should be eating at least 130 grams of carbs per day."

"OK," I told her, "I'll dip into a jar of jelly beans every night before I go to bed. That should do it."

Then she started explaining that they should be whole grains, spread throughout your meals and snacks. She spouted the typical dribble I've been hearing my whole life: 30-45g of carbs with every meal, 15g for each snack.

I asked WHY? Why do we need to consume at least 130g of carbs each day? And that kind of implies that it's a minimum, and we should REALLY be doing MORE, which goes against everything I believe in. (Aka: Americans are fat because they eat wayyyyy too many carbs, and if anything, we should be giving them a maximum, not a minimum.)

Your brain needs glucose for fuel--that was her explanation. I've heard that many times before, including from my health coach who approaches nutrition from a more reasonable stance, IMO, and advises 3 servings of whole grains per day--that's it.

SO... I started looking into it. Does our brain rely solely on glucose for energy? And if so, how much? Where do these guidelines come from? I'll start there.

1. Where do the guidelines come from? (The recommendation of at least 130g of carbs daily.)
Answer: From the FDA. Research shows that in a typical diet, the brain uses glucose (all carbohydrate breaks down into glucose with the exception of dietary fiber). They came up with this recommendation based on how much glucose the brain needs at a minimum for a good, functioning brain. Good rec, right? Well, in the report that outlines these guidelines, they also reference studies showing that, actually, the brain can use another source for fuel: ketone bodies. Ketone bodies are made when breaking down fat or drawing on stored fat for energy. We all make ketones when we are fasting (like overnight), and it is a comparable, arguably better, source of energy for your brain.

Before 1921, when the late great Fred Banting discovered insulin (the best discovery of all time), people with "sweet death" could prolong their lives for weeks or months by consuming zero carbohydrates--they ate mostly fat, and a bit of protein. So...

2. Does the brain rely solely on glucose for energy? NO. A resounding NO. We just don't understand the alternate process enough to feel good about recommending it. I'll give it a try:

There are a few parts of the brain that rely only on glucose, but we can actually convert protein into glucose for those purposes. So, do we NEED carbohydrates to survive? Nope. It's the only of the 3 macronutrients that we DO NOT need.

So, given that we will inevitably eat a few carbs no matter how hard we try, and we will definitely eat some protein, those parts of the brain are covered. The rest of the brain and the body (muscles and all), can rely on dietary fat. The brain (parts that don't require glucose) can use something called ketones, which are made in the liver when breaking down fats. This only happens on a large scale when there is little to no carbohydrates available, and insulin levels are nil in the bloodstream.

Your cells, including your muscles, are perfectly happy using fat for energy, and your brain will use ketones. A bit of protein will help your muscle development and some will convert into glucose for your brain.

Cholesterol seems to be a problem only for folks who consume too many carbs and store fat (especially saturated fat), but when eliminating carbs, this isn't a problem.

I heard about a man in Australia who takes one daily shot of basal insulin (6 units!!!!) and does not see many fluctuations in his blood sugar levels.

Check it out: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TR8rc_AF6XU 

So here I am: 18 years in and just hearing about the ketogenic diet. I'm all in.

Day 1 (today)
Breakfast: Cheesy 3-egg omelet cooked in a generous amount of coconut oil with a latte made with soy milk creamer. 0.9 units for a bolus, and my basal rate is set at 50% of my normal regime. 






No comments:

Post a Comment